Monday, December 1, 2014

If We Treated Everybody the Way We Treat Artists


I am a theatre artist. I'm a theatre artist suffering from a huge case of Impostor Syndrome, but I am theatre artist. Recently I started wondering what it would sound like if we treated everybody the way we treat artists. All of the following are based on things that have been said to me or about me. 

  • I want to be a high school teacher.
  • Hey, you know what you could do? You could teach middle school! 
  • Well yeah, if that's where the jobs are, but I really want to teach high school. 
  • Or elementary school! 
  • I'm not actually great with kids... 
  • You can be a coach. 
  • I'm not athletic. I just want to teach high school. 
  • And that's it? 
  • Yes. 
  • Oh. 



  • Look, you should at least minor in education. You can totally still do your business administration thing on the side. 


  • Your work can't be that hard. You're a math major, right? 


  • What's your major? 
  • Engineering. 
  • Oh, so you want to be a teacher?
  • Actually, I want to be an engineer. 
  • Really? 


  • She got a degree in biology. I think she's going to get a Master's in something she can use. 


  • Psychology is a hobby, not a career. 


  • He's probably really full of himself. All architects are. 


  • Are you still doing that dentistry thing?
  • Yes. 
  • What do you want to do with that? 
  • Uh...dentistry. 
  • Huh. You dating anyone yet? 
  • Nope. Pass the mashed potatoes. 


And finally...

  • I gave up sociology when I converted to Christianity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment